Accepted Student Checklist

Share your #accepted2rit photo!

Take a photo of yourself holding the #accepted2RIT flyer and post it to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #accepted2RIT. See all of the photos here!

If you've received a letter of acceptance from RIT/NTID, congratulations! Here's all the information you need to get started as the newest member of the RIT family.

Pay $300 Tuition Deposit

Credit card holders may now pay their deposit online.

Students who will be financially supported by their state vocational rehabilitation agency may have their deposit deferred to their semester tuition bill. Please have the VR counselor send a voucher to RIT Student Financial Services, 25 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623 or fax to: 585-475-5307.

Activation of Your RIT Computer Account

If you have created an account as part of the RIT admissions process, then you have created an RIT portal account (i.e. abc1234). This same account becomes your student account upon payment of your tuition deposit. No additional action is required to activate your account. If you did not create an account as part of the admissions process, you will receive an account activation email from RIT when you have paid your tuition deposit (or the deposit has been waived). The account activation email will go to the email address supplied on your admissions application. If you have paid your tuition deposit and have not gotten the account activation email, please contact the ITS Service Desk for future help.

The RIT computer account will be used to:

  • Submit your housing contract (accept/tuition deposit must be submitted as well to access housing contract).
  • Access eServices, RIT's hub to make payments, view student accounts, view bills, view financial aid and authorize access for parents and other third parties.
  • Access the student information center for registration information.

What’s my University ID (UID)? To find your UID, after setting up your RIT computer account go to the myRIT Web Portal at Once you sign in, your name and University ID appear on the top left of the screen. If you need help, contact the ITS Help Desk at (585) 475-4357 voice or (585) 475-2810 TTY.

RIT Student Email

Once you have created your RIT computer account and you have paid the accept/tuition deposit, your RIT student email account ( becomes active. At this time your RIT student email account will become your preferred email address in our system. It is your responsibility to check your RIT student email account on a regular basis.

RIT has partnered with Google to provide RIT Gmail accounts to all students. To access your RIT Gmail account, visit the home for Google Apps at RIT, All email communication from RIT will be sent to your RIT student email address. Additionally, you can set some other email preferences by visiting

Your new RIT student email address is our primary means of campus communication. It will include:

  • Orientation information for new students
  • All student account information, including information regarding tuition sent to RIT email
  • Housing — students use RIT student email to communicate with each other during roommate selection process
  • Any information from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
  • Faculty and departmental communication to students

Complete the Housing Contract

All entering freshmen who do not live with their parent(s) or guardians within a 30-mile commuting distance are required to live in an RIT residence hall and are guaranteed housing. In order to receive an RIT housing assignment, complete the online housing contract. All freshmen will have the opportunity to select their own roomate and residence hall room assignment on a first-come, first-served basis, depending upon 1) the receive date of your Acceptance of Admission Deposit and 2) the receive date of your freshmen housing contract.Students residing in a residence hall must select a meal plan via the question on the housing contract. If you have any questions about your housing assignment, please contact the Housing Operations office at 585-475-2572 (voice) or 585-475-2113 (TTY) or visit Housing Operations online.

Entering transfer students may live in RIT housing or non-RIT housing.Transfer students are assigned RIT housing on a space-available basis,prioritized by 1) the receive date of the Admissions Deposit and 2) the receive date of the housing contract. Housing on campus for transfer is not guaranteed.

Your housing assignment and roommate information will be available online on the housing operations page in early August (for fall entry)

Set up Electronic Billing

As no paper statements are mailed for tuition and other fees, eServices (electronic billing) is the way to access your RIT payment account. Use your RIT computer account to logon to Select the “Financial” tab to the eServices link. There you can grant access to parents, employers, or other sponsors to your student account information in order to make payments, add Tiger Bucks or view grades.

Apply for Financial Aid

(U.S. students only.)

  • Complete the FAFSA. This should be done as soon after January 1st as possible. File the form on the Web at You may file using estimated tax return information.
    Be sure to have the results sent to RIT by including our federal school code, which is 002806.
  • Watch for your Student Aid Report (SAR). You will receive a SAR after you file your FAFSA. Your SAR will be sent to the E-mail address you supplied on the FAFSA.  Review the SAR and make any necessary corrections especially if you used estimated tax return information. 
  • Apply for state scholarships and grants.  Check with your state scholarship agency for application information and forms.   
  • Research other sources of aid. Use free, reputable sources of information on private scholarships. We provide links to the major sources directly at our web site at
  • Financial Aid Award letters are mailed beginning March 15. If you have any questions about filling out the forms, please call the RIT Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 585-475-2186 (voice) or 585-475-6909 (TTY).

Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation

(U.S. deaf and hard-of-hearing students only.)

Schedule an intake visit with a VR Counselor in your State of Residence: Contact information can be found here.

Apply early. VR can be a major source of educational funding for students. Make sure to schedule an intake interview with a VR counselor early on in the process to secure valuable funding.

Questions: Barbara Polle, Student Financial Services Coordinator, at (585)-475-6863 (V/TTY) or by email.

Apply for OSAP

(Canadian deaf and hard-of-hearing students only)

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) assists students from the Canadian province of Ontario. If you have not yet applied for OSAP, please do so now. The process can take several weeks. You may contact Heather Tiboni at

You need to submit a copy of the Notice of Assessment before your 1-20 form will be sent.

If you are from another Canadian province, please contact your province's Student Finanacial Assistance Program. For example: LMAPD for Newfoundland and student aid BC for British Columbia.

For further assisatance, please visit the Canadian Hearing Society.

Submit Final Transcripts From Your Previous School

If you're entering RIT/NTID directly from high school, you are required to submit final transcripts that list your date of graduation. Your transcripts must be submitted by the start of classes for your first semester at RIT/NTID.

If you are a transfer student, you must submit official transcripts that include your final semester and note any degrees earned. Your transcript must be submitted by the start of classes for your first semester at RIT/NTID. Registration may be delayed until this is received.

Ask your secondary school official or college registration office to send transcripts to: NTID Office of Admissions, 52 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623. Mark on the envelope "Attention: Final Transcripts Enclosed."

Communication & Access Services

(Deaf and hard-of-hearing students only)

Complete the Language/Communication Background Questionnaire (L/CBQ) as soon as possible or no later than June 1. Your responses are needed to plan access services and housing assignments.

Complete the Health History and Immunization Record Forms

All new students are required to complete and submit the Health History Form and Immunization Record Form. The Health History Form must be filled out by you and your physician. New York State law requires all students enrolled in four or more credit hours, and born after January 1, 1957, to provide the RIT Student Health Center with proof that they have received appropriate immunizations. Completion of this form is required before you can register for classes. New York State law mandates that all college students provide proof of vaccinations prior to registering for classes. Your required Immunization Record Form needs to be submitted no more than 30 days prior to the start of classes in order to avoid a delay in registration or interruption of classes for which you are enrolled. You may direct questions to RIT's Student Health Center at 585-475-2255 (voice) or 585-475-5515 (TTY).

If You Have a Disability Other Than Hearing Loss, Complete the Disability Services Request Form

If, in addition to your hearing loss, you have another disability requiring accommodation (such as a learning disability, visual or mobility impairment), please complete the Disability Services Request Form. ASL-English Interpretation program students with disabilities also complete this form. Submit directly to the Disability Services Office. Do not complete these forms unless the circumstances above apply to you.