One-to-One Communication Strategies
Effective communication is a joint responsibility of hearing and deaf people. When you are communicating face-to-face, repeating the information can confirm that the message is understood, that is one strategy both can use. Also, you can provide some communication strategies to the employer to make the message clearer.
Ask them to:
- Look directly at you when speaking.
- State the topic of discussion.
- Speak slowly and clearly.
- First repeat, then try to rephrase the statement.
- Use gestures.
- Avoid standing in front of a light source when speaking.