The Next Big Idea
The Next Big Idea is an annual competition, sponsored by ZVRS, in which cross-disciplinary teams of deaf and hard-of-hearing students work together to create a product, a type of technology or a business that will be useful to the deaf and hard-of-hearing community.
The 2015 competition is in the planning stages. Anyone interested in competing, please attend the orientation meeting scheduled for:
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 from noon - 1:00 pm in SDC 1310
Wednesday, Jannuary 28, 2015 from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in SDC 1310
- The Preliminary Round will be on February 11, 2015 at 6:30 pm in SDC 1300.
- The Final Round is scheduled for April 29, 2015.
The deadline to apply for The Next Big Idea Competition is Friday, January 30, 2015.
On April 26, five judges from ZVRS, corporate sponsor of the Next Big Idea Competition, watched the four final teams present their project and asked the team members tough questions. Each team was charged with creating a product, technology or business that would benefit the deaf community.
After a raffle of an iPAD mini and various gift cards conducted by Chris Wagner, an RIT/NTID alumnus and vice president of marketing for ZVRS, the judges met to discuss their choices and choose winners. The winners are:
- 1st Place Winner, $5,000, invisibleCAPTIONS — Cory Behm, Samantha Braidi, Melissa Kielbus, Daniel Moreno
- 2nd Place Winner, $3,000, Team Champ — Robb Dooling, Amie Sankoh, Michael Stewart
- 3rd Place Winner, $2,000, Motion Savvy — Ryan Hait-Campbell, Wade Kellard, Jordan Stemper
- Finalist, S.A.V.E.D. — Chris Fenn, Pierce Hamilton, Casey Jaeger