The Next Big Idea
The Next Big Idea is an annual competition, sponsored by ZVRS, in which cross-disciplinary teams of deaf and hard-of-hearing students work together to create a product, a type of technology or a business that will be useful to the deaf and hard-of-hearing community.
The 2015 competition is in the planning stages. Anyone interested in competing, please attend the orientation meetings scheduled for
Wednesday, December 10, 7 – 8 pm in the SDC, Room 1310
Friday, December 12, 1 – 2 pm in the SDC, Room 1310
The final championship round for the 2014 competition was held on Thursday, May 8th. The six team finalists presented their products or services to a panel of judges from ZVRS who chose first, second and third place winners.
The winners were:
- Cenify, 1st Place Winner, $5,000
- Code-Zero, 2nd Place Winner, $3,000
- DeafVengers, 3rd Place Winner, $2,000
Thanks so much to all the 2014 Next Big Idea participants for the interest, excitement and hard work they brought to the competition.
On April 26, five judges from ZVRS, corporate sponsor of the Next Big Idea Competition, watched the four final teams present their project and asked the team members tough questions. Each team was charged with creating a product, technology or business that would benefit the deaf community.
After a raffle of an iPAD mini and various gift cards conducted by Chris Wagner, an RIT/NTID alumnus and vice president of marketing for ZVRS, the judges met to discuss their choices and choose winners. The winners are:
- 1st Place Winner, $5,000, invisibleCAPTIONS — Cory Behm, Samantha Braidi, Melissa Kielbus, Daniel Moreno
- 2nd Place Winner, $3,000, Team Champ — Robb Dooling, Amie Sankoh, Michael Stewart
- 3rd Place Winner, $2,000, Motion Savvy — Ryan Hait-Campbell, Wade Kellard, Jordan Stemper
- Finalist, S.A.V.E.D. — Chris Fenn, Pierce Hamilton, Casey Jaeger