(Copy available through the NTID Associate Dean for Curriculum and Special Projects, LBJ-2845.)
- AAHE Assessment Forum. (1997). Learning Through Assessment: A Resource Guide for Higher Education. Edited by Lion F. Gardiner, Caitlin Anderson, and Barbara L. Cambridge. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education (ISBN 1-56377-0004-0)
Lists hundreds of resources on outcomes assessment—great tool.
- Angelo, Thomas A. & Cross, K. Patricia. (1993). Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers, Section Edition. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 1-55542-5000-3) RIT Wallace 4th Floor: LB2822.75.A5 1993
Lots of suggestions for how to do continual classroom assessment.
- Assessment Update. This newsletter, published six times a year, “is dedicated to covering the latest developments in the rapidly evolving area of higher education assessment. Assessment Update offers all academic leaders up-to-date information and practical advice on conducting assessments in a range of areas, including student learning and outcomes, faculty instruction, academic programs and curricula, student services, and overall institutional functioning.”
- Astin, Alexander W (1996). Assessment for Excellence: The Philosophy and Practice of Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education. Portland, OR: Oryx Press and American Council on Education (ISBN 0-89774-805-0)
- Banta, T. W., Lund, J. P., Black, K. E., & Oblander, F. W. (1996). Assessment in practice; Putting principles to work on college campuses. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Includes over 80 campus examples of effective assessment practices.
- Banta, T. W., Jones, E. A. and Black, K. E, (2009). Designing Effective Assessment: Principles and Profiles of Good Practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 978-0-470-39334-5).
Contains profiles of good practice in several categories: general education, undergraduate academic majors, faculty/staff development, use of technology, program review, first-year experiences, student affairs, community colleges, and graduate programs.
- Banta, T. W., Editor (2007). Assessing Student Achievement in General Education. Assessment Update Collections. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Good information about various strategies and measures for assessing student achievement in general education. Includes published articles on the use of both standardized tests and locally designed instruments. Approaches are described for assessment of individual generic skills (e.g. writing and critical thinking) as well as assessment methods that are applicable across knowledge and skills areas (e.g. capstone courses and course-embedded measures.)
- Bresciani, M. J. (2006). Outcomes-Based Academic and Co-Curricular Program Review. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, LLC.
A summary of best practices at particular universities who have had substantial experience and success linking outcomes assessment and program review. It addresses the steps institutions need to undertake for effective outcomes-based program review and the elements within each step that should be considered. It is a resource that can facilitate program review for both internal improvement and external accountability.
- Erwin, T. Dary (1991). Assessing Student Learning and Development: A Guide to the Principles, Goals, and Methods of Determining College Outcomes. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 1-55542-325-6).
Good overview of assessment process.
- Gronlund, Norman E. (2000). How To Write and Use Instructional Objectives, Sixth Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-886533-7). RIT Wallace 4th Floor: LB1027.4.G76 2000
Excellent guide to writing instructional objectives in all learning domains.
- Kuh, George D., And Others (1994). Student Learning Outside the Classroom: Transcending Artifical Boundaries. ERIC Digest. Washington, DC: ERIC Clearinghouse on Higher Education. (ED394443)
- Kuh, George D., and Others (2015). Using Evidence of Student Learning to Improve Higher Education. National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (ISBN 9781118903381)
- Mager, Robert F. (1997) 3rd Ed. Measuring Instructional Results Or Got a Match? How to find out if your instructional objectives have been achieved. Atlanta, GA: The Center for Effective Performance, Inc. (ISBN 1-879618-16-8)
Terrific blueprint for how to measure results against objectives.
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (2007, Second Edition). Student Learning Assessment: Options and Resources. Philadelphia: Author.
- Nichols, James O. (1989, 1991, 1995). A Practitioner’s Handbook for Institutional Effectiveness and Student Outcomes Assessment Implementation, Third Edition. New York: Agathon Press (ISBN 0-87586-113)
Useful and practical ideas for how to develop outcomes assessment on department/unit level.
- Nichols, James O. (1995). Assessment Case Studies: Common Issues in Implementation with Various Campus Approaches to Resolution. New York: Agathon Press (ISBN 0-87586-112-1)
- Palomba, Catherine A. & Banta, Trudy W. (1999). Assessment essentials: Planning, implementing , improving. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (ISBN 0-7879-4180-8)
Good overview of assessment process with chapters on assessing general education and on reporting and using results.
- Schuh, John H. & Upcraft, M. Lee (2001). Assessment Practice in Student Affairs: An Applications Manual. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 0-7879-5053-X).
- Suskie, Linda (2009, second edition). Assessing Student Learning: A Common Sense Guide. San Franciso, CA: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 978-0-470-289648
Excellent resource for planning and implementing program-wide or institutional assessment of student learning in higher education. Includes references and recommended readings for each chapter.
- Suskie, Linda (Ed.) (2001). Assessment to Promote Deep Learning: Insights from AAHE’s 2000 and 1999 Assessment Conference. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education (ISBN 1-56377-048-2)
Summary of plenary session presentations from two national assessment conferences.
- Suskie, Linda (2015). Five Dimensions of Quality: A Common Sense Guide to Accreditation and Accountability. San Franciso, CA: Jossey-Bass (ISBN 978-1-118-76140-3)
- Walvoord, B. E. (2004). Assessment clear and simple: A practical guide for institutions, departments, and general education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. RIT Wallace 4th Floor: LB2822.75.W35 3004
A short, step-by-step guide of about 100 pages useful to anyone who might be involved in assessment. This book is intended to make assessment simple, cost-efficient, and useful to the institution, while meeting the requirements of accreditation agencies and review boards.