Students (with approval of a faculty mentor) can apply for a microgrant (up to $1,000) to support a specific research project. Funds could be given to students in need of purchasing a software program, piece of equipment, chemical, etc. in order to conduct research. Faculty members who want to start new/pilot research projects are specifically encouraged to have their students apply. These micogrants are predominantly for supplies and are not eligible to be paid as stipends or for travel.
How to apply
Students should complete the Student Research Microgrant Application Form (which includes a one-page project description). Priority will be given to students who have not previously received a microgrant from RIT/NTID.
- You must be an NTID-supported undergraduate student with a GPA above 3.0.
- You must be in good academic, financial and judicial standing at RIT/NTID.
- Your proposed research work must be completed in collaboration with a faculty mentor.
- Students who are conducting research under externally-funded projects are asked to use those funds before applying for the NTID-funded opportunities.
- The application form is to be completed by the student researcher, but approved by the faculty mentor.
- With the approval of their mentor, recipients are required to present at NTID’s Annual Student Research Fair (typically in late April/early May).
- $1,000 is the maximum amount of the request. It is anticipated that most requests will be for less than $1,000.
- Funds are to be used to purchase equipment/supplies, and are not used for pay, stipends or travel.
- Any supplies/equipment purchased with these funds are property of RIT/NTID and should remain with RIT/NTID after the completion of the research project.
- All funds are to be used, and invoices turned in, within one month of making purchases with the exception of September and June (where all invoices are due by the 15th due to budget cycle closings- even if purchase were made within less than a month).
For more information, or to apply, contact Dr. Todd Pagano (firstname.lastname@example.org).