Frequently Asked Questions about SVP

Answers to many of the most frequently-asked questions about SVP can be found below.
What does SVP stand for?
Summer Vestibule Program.
Do I have to go to SVP?

If you are accepted to the College of NTID, SVP is a mandatory orientation.

My friends aren’t going to SVP. Why do I have to?

If you are accepted to the College of NTID, you will need to attend SVP. Those students accepted to the other colleges within RIT (College of Science, College of Engineering, etc.) are expected to participate in their own orientation at a later date/time.

How long do parents generally stay?

Because all workshops/meetings are optional for parents, it is up to you if you'd like to stay for a few days or leave after your student moves into his/her dorm room. However, please know that your student will be taking placement tests starting at 8am on Saturday morning so we suggest you say good-bye and good luck on Friday evening. This will allow your student to settle in and prepare for the next day.

What can I bring?

This depends partially on where you will be living. Here are some printable checklists for the residence halls and the RIT Inn & Conference Center.

You can ship your belongings to: 

Student Name
5000 Nathaniel Rochester Hall
Rochester, NY  14623

Do NOT ship your boxes/packages or other mail to this address until ONE WEEK prior to your move-in date for SVP.  If your packages arrive any earlier, the post office may NOT accept the packages and ship them back to your return address!  Please contact the NRH Post Office if you have any questions.

***Remember, FedEX or UPS or DHL do not deliver to post offices, so you should not put a P.O. box # on the label.

What are placement tests?
During SVP, you will take placement tests in math, reading, and writing. Placement means determining what level of classes you should take – not too easy but not too hard. Be sure to bring a calculator for the math test.
What is sampling?

Students are required to sample two majors. They will select these majors on the following website: Please be sure to fill out the Career Interest Survey (Career Survey) because the results from that will determine which majors to sample during SVP. Sampling will either determine or confirm your interest and abilities for different majors. You’ve dreamed of being an engineer, but after you sampled it, you found it really wasn’t for you, for a variety of reasons. By sampling, you’ll already have a bit more knowledge of other majors, allowing you to make an informed decision.

When will I get my class schedule?

You will take the placement tests and go through sampling first. If you have not already been accepted to a major, you will apply to one OR come into the Career Exploration Studies program. When you attend your new department meeting, you will get your new fall schedule. Please pass this information onto your VR counselor. You will have full-time status.

Which immunizations are required?

You need to provide proof of 2 doses of MMR vaccine, 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine, 1 dose of tetanus booster within the past 10 years, 1 dose of Meningococcal vaccine. Failure to do this will result in a hold being put on your account, which will prevent you from registering for fall semester. Don’t wait! If you don’t have the documents, contact your doctor today. Please go to the Student Health Center website for more details and to download a form, if needed. You will need to show this form to your physician.

Where do I get information on health insurance?

To get information about health insurance, go to If you do not see the information you are looking for, contact the Risk Management office at 585-475-6135.

Can parents stay in the dorm room?
No. Parents may stay in one of the local hotels.
I can't show up between 8am-2pm to pick up my key on Move-In Day. What do I do?

It is important that you arrange your travel plans to arrive to the SVP program on move-in day: Friday, August 16 between 8am-2pm. If you need to arrive the night before, you are welcome to stay at a local hotel on your own. Early move-in to your RIT housing assignment will not be permitted.  

You will have a busy schedule starting on Saturday, August 17 at 8am and late arrivals to campus will complicate your schedule. However, if you are arriving late due to circumstances beyond your control, please contact the SVP office (585-475-6800 or to let us know what time you will be here so we can prepare for your arrival. If you arrive between 2pm and 6pm, please go directly to the SVP Office inside the Lyndon Baines Johnson building, office #2593 to pick up your keys and housing contract as well as your orientation materials. If you arrive after 6pm on Friday evening, you must make your own arrangements at a local hotel (at your expense) and come to the SVP office the next morning (Saturday, August 17) at 7am only. We will give you your housing key but you must be prepared to start your orientation program at 8am (you can move your personal belongings to your room later that evening, not at 7am). The SVP schedule will not permit any make-up sessions if orientation activities are missed due to late arrivals.  

Do I stay in the same room for SVP and the rest of the academic year?
The room you move into for SVP is the room you will stay in for the rest of the academic year.
Is there transportation to or from the airport, train station, or bus station?
RIT does not supply transportation to the airport, train station or bus station. Students/families should plan on taking a cab/taxi (cost approximately $20 - $40). If you or your student know of someone arriving (or going) to the airport, train station, or bus station around the same time, they could share the cost of the cab/taxi.
Will my academic counselor be available?

You will have two different counselors – one for SVP (Career Seminar counselor) and one for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters). Your Career Seminar counselor will have time only on Saturday (12noon-1pm) to chat with you about any questions or concerns you may have. Your academic counselor won’t be assigned until you are accepted into a major. Each counselor supports a specific major.

How do I buy books with VR authorization?

Go to the Barnes & Noble College Bookstore at Park Point. Go to any cash register and ask if they have your VR book authorization. More information can be found here.

How do I buy books without VR authorization?

Send your new class schedule and booklist with costs to your VR counselor. E-mail your VR counselor to ask why you don’t have book authorization. Purchase your books. Pay for the books yourself. Keep the original receipt so you can get the refund later (if your VR covers books).

What are Tiger Bucks?

"Tiger Bucks" are a convenient debit account accessed through the RIT ID card and available to all RIT students, faculty, and staff. More than 75 on- and off-campus locations accept Tiger Bucks for a number of services and products.

How do I add to or change my meal plan?

You can add or change a meal plan online at or in person at RIT Dining Services (SAU, A410), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Please note that changes to dining plans may only be made during the first week of each academic semester (fall and spring) until 4:30 p.m. the Friday of that week.

TIP: Track your meal plan usage online at!

What if I lose my RIT ID card?
Report it lost immediately to Dining Services at (585) 475-2071 or in-person at the Dining Services Office located in the Student Alumni Union (SAU), room A410 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. RIT Public Safety may also be notified 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (585) 475-2853. Once reported, your card will be deactivated preventing unauthorized use. You can obtain a new RIT ID card at the Registrar's Office. You are responsible for any usage on the card up until the time you report it lost/stolen.
Do you service hearing aids and cochlear implants? Can I buy batteries, earmolds, etc.?
Our hearing aid shop is located on the third floor of LBJ – room 3130. They provide hearing tests, hearing aid checks, hearing aid repairs, hearing aid and cochlear implant consultations, hearing aid evaluations, and cochlear implant mappings.
What size are the beds?
The dorm room beds are Twin XL. Some stores have the opportunity to buy where you are and they will be in a store here, when you arrive (Ship to Store). For example, you go on-line with WalMart to order some bedding or dorm supplies. There will be an option for you to choose to have it shipped to the Henrietta, NY store. Simply pick it up when you arrive or during your stay.
I want to try out for an RIT sports team. What do I do?

We welcome you to try out! Be aware that you can join a sports team for fun (Intramurals) or for competition (Division I or Division III). We do not have separate deaf and hearing teams. The only exception is DBA/Deaf Basketball Association. If you do want to try out for a competitive sport, please go to the RIT Athletics website, find the coach and email that person to indicate your interest in trying out. You will need to explain your previous experiences, awards, records, etc. NTID does have a liasion who assists in answering questions, offers support, etc. Feel free to also contact Astrid "AJ" Jones ( to talk more. Be aware that tryouts or practices/games may conflict with Orientation activities. You will be responsible to keep the coach and the SVP Coordinator informed if there are conflicts. We will work together to ensure that you are covering your responsibilities for both things.

If you need to meet with Financial Aid...

Please either call ahead at 585-475-2186 and press zero for an appointment for Thursday, August 15, when financial aid counselors will be in their offices in the Bausch and Lomb Building, or stop by on Friday, August 16 when counselors will be in the SDC from 9am to Noon and 1pm to 3pm.

Will my health insurance be covered in New York State?
Generally speaking, your current health insurance MIGHT cover you during emergencies only.  If you need to see a doctor for a check-up or to get prescription medicine, your insurance may NOT cover you.  You must review your plan to see if you're covered.  If you are not and you seek medical help, you may be charged the full price for any medical services and that can be quite expensive!
Please go to the RIT Student Health Center's website for insurance information.  Medicare and/or Medicaid may not be accepted in New York so you need to check and see if it will be accepted in New York/Monroe County.
Also, prescription medicine information can also be found at the Student Health Center's website too.