Undergraduate Application Requirements

Request Information

If you would like to receive detailed information about RIT/NTID in the mail, please complete the form below.

Apply Now

The following information is for deaf and hard-of-hearing students applying for undergraduate admissions to RIT/NTID. Students must demonstrate a significant hearing loss and demonstrate the ability to benefit from the models used at RIT/NTID designed specifically to provide access to academic programs for deaf and hard-of-hearing students.

Please follow the steps below and the application timeline to ensure that your application materials are submitted completely and on time, and contact us or chat live with an Admissions counselor if you have any questions.

Students choose a specific academic program in one of RIT's nine colleges as part of the admission process. This is important because we offer a variety of academic programs and degree pathways, and admission requirements may differ from one program to another. All deaf and hard-of-hearing applicants need to apply through the NTID Office of Admissions. Learn more about the admission criteria (view in Spanish) for your program of interest.

Undergraduate Application

Complete the undergraduate application (online or paper) and submit it along with your $65 application fee. If you prefer, you can use the Common Application to apply to RIT.

Official High School Transcript

All applicants with less than 30 college credit hours must submit a final high school transcript. Contact your high school guidance office, and if necessary, your college records office, and ask them to send an official high school or college transcript to: Rochester Institute of Technology, NTID Office of Admissions, 52 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623. Final high school transcripts are acceptable if they are faxed, but must include a cover sheet that clearly shows that it came directly from the high school. Transcripts can be faxed to 585-475-2696. An electronic high school transcript will be accepted if it is sent through Parchment Exchange or the Common Application.


Submit the U.S. Audiological Record Form (or Canadian Audiological Record Form) or submit an unaided audiogram without the form. All audiograms should have been completed within three years of the application date.

Official College Transcript

Request that all colleges you have attended send an official copy of your transcript directly to our office via fax (585-475-2696) or mail (RIT/NTID Admissions, 52 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623). As part of the application process a transfer credit evaluation is completed and mailed to you after acceptance.

ACT/SAT Test Scores

Submit official scores from either the SAT (send to college code 2760) or the ACT (send to college code 2870). Students who complete the ACT may submit scores with or without the optional writing section, but the writing section is recommended. Transfer students who have demonstrated academic success on their previous college transcript may be waived from taking the SAT or ACT. Transfer students, please send your college transcript so that a transfer credit evaluation can be completed during the application process.

Recommendation Letter

Deaf and hard-of-hearing applicants need to submit one recommendation. Ask the individual writing the letter to complete the recommendation section on the secondary school transcript request form in the RIT Undergraduate Application. Or, if you prefer, the letter can be sent separately on an official letterhead.


This personal essay helps us to become acquainted with you as a person and student, apart from courses, grades, test scores and other objective data. It will also demonstrate your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself.

Please choose from one of the options below:

  1. State your reasons for aspiring to a career in your chosen area of academic interest.
  2. State your reason for applying to RIT.
  3. Describe a significant experience or achievement that has special meaning to you.
  4. Provide a copy of an essay you have already written for a school assignment.


If you are applying for a bachelor-level degree program in the School of Art, School for American Crafts or the School of Design, a portfolio is required.

If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact your admissions counselor.