In a wh-question, a "gap" is the logical position from which a wh-word or phrase has moved to the beginning of the question. In the wh-questions below, a bullet (•) appears after certain words and phrases. For each question, click on the bullet that you think represents the gap of the moved wh-word or phrase. You will see feedback to your responses.
When a wh-word or phrase is the subject of the main clause of the question, there is no gap. In that case, click on the bullet immediately to the right of the subject wh-word or phrase.1. What equipment should we buy ?
2. Whose plans make the most sense for expanding our business over the next five years ?
3. Who have you prepared the proposal for ?
4. Who has the responsibility of managing the company's finances ?
5. In which ledger did you post those entries ?
6. Which future goals did they say were the most realistic for their company ?
7. Who did the boss suggest that we could hire ?
8. Which journal entry did the accountant decide was incorrect ?
9. What equipment are we allowed to depreciate on next year's tax returns ?
10. Whose salaries can we afford to increase ?